INTRODUCTION LETTER

Professor Aisha Sidibe

FIQWS 101

August 29, 2018

Get to Know Me

I was actually not that happy when I was in the plane.

My full name is Sabrina Beatriz Espinal Tejada, but ever since I moved to the United States, I am just Sabrina Espinal. I was born in the Dominican Republic in the beautiful Province of  Santiago Rodriguez best known for being the city of musicians and production of milk on March 10, 2000. I came to the United States with my Dad and my four siblings on February 9, 2013; seeking for better professional and living opportunities. I am a Dominican immigrant student, who, thanks to the sacrifice of my parents, I have had the fantastic opportunity to graduate from High School and attend to college in the capital of the world, New York City a place filled with incredible opportunities to the extent of everyone.

My school experience back to my home country was somehow “fun,” there was nothing to worry about, or I was not expected to be worrying about it since I was only attending to primary school and middle school. On the other hand, once I moved to the country everything quickly changed. I vividly still remember my first day as an eighth grader at the Salome Ureña Middle School. I entered the room, I was told to present myself, and quickly I was sent to sit down, open my notebook and start working. I had nothing but tears falling down my eyes; I didn’t know anyone in the room, I could not understand what an “Aim” was, not even the type of math they were doing in class… As I look back, I see a super timid girl who barely knew  English, besides counting from one to ten and the alphabet. Later, with the help of friends and teachers, I improved a lot with my reading, talking and even understanding better the language. I worked hard to pass all my classes, and surprisingly I graduated Middle School with outstanding grades. A year after, I transitioned to Gregorio Luperón High School where, I had the fantastic opportunity of meeting incredible smart and talented teachers and students, who I admire and I will always look up to them. During all these years, being homesick was something I struggled with but, at Gregorio Luperón, I felt like in my country, obviously with a more mixture of cultures, but among family.

At High School, I learned to love History Class. I enjoyed getting to know how the world worked centuries ago but also, I loved learning how knowing your past helps to comprehend your present and determine your future. I graduated High School as a top student; now I am starting my college student life at City College of New York. Even though I don’t know what I will major in, I am super excited, yet anxious to see what life has storage for me these following years.

Regardless of coming to the United States at a young age, I have always been interested in my cultural background. Nowadays it seems even more important to me understand and learn even more about that part of me that defines me as a Latina and how my historical background is viewed through the eyes of others who, just like me are affected by it. Throughout this course, I want to enroll even more into my own culture, but also to examine those aspects of Latin America that is affecting the life of its people and that has been keeping them as a third world country, where its government and culture are causing them to have a progressive delay.  

I have to say that I am not a big fan of writing and most of the blame comes because I struggle a lot with grammar. Due to that English, is not my first language, I tent to have mistakes in my writing pieces. On the other hand, I like free writing. I like letting my thoughts control whatever I have to compose, without having rules to follow. Having to follow a specific structure when writing really blocks all my thoughts, and then I cannot write.

Growing up back in the Dominican Republic, I used to go to really poor parts of my country and along with my mom and her position at the Rotary International Club, provide different social services for those in need. Even though I was very young, I was able to see how critical life was to others compared with mines. I know  it is frustrating and complicated to grow into a low-income community, but that has made of me a generous and understanding person.

My parents always taught me that no matter what you are doing always do your best. Attending to College is just one more opportunity that I need to achieve my highest potential. In the future, I will use my abilities to help develop a better society. I am prepared to work, and contribute because I am strong. I have realized that life is not just grades, how much money you have, and what major you are doing, but what you make of it when you don’t have those things.

TO BE CONTINUED… #myjourney…